Dreams...
It may be a dream afraid of waking up, or it may be a dream coming to realization in the next morning.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Infatuation

What is infatuation? I have posted an entry regarding infatuation and I viewed rather negatively. But, I'd like to retract what I said and add one of the most important thing about infatuation - it's not just about physical infatuation. Sometimes we see kids as young as 5 years old start to have a crush on a classmate and sometimes it's the older people who experience being infatuated with someone. But whoever it is who feels it, infatuation is normal.

I'm not writing this entry to assert to you that it's normal. Of course it's normal, it's part of being human. But I'd like to get back to the point that even kids as young as 5 years old already have the experience of being infatuated. Kids are still innocent little beings even in this modern world where information about sexual relationship is shoved down our throat at every corner of our environment. This is only my opinion, but I don't think when a 5-year-old kid is infatuated with someone, his or her main focus of being infatuated is to satisfy a physical attraction. When I asked a young kid about his crush on his classmate, he told me rather generally that he likes her and he likes spending time with her. He said that he likes her smile and that her presence brightens up his life.

So, perhaps the definition of infatuation should be widened than a physical attraction towards someone. I believe that it's the beginning stage of love. Yes, we need to also be attracted to that person, but infatuation is more like wanting the companionship of the person, wanting the connection, physically and emotionally. And love is just an advanced version of it.

I used to be scared whenever I started to have a "crush" on someone in my past, mostly because of the narrow definition that I used to have. But now, although it's been a long time since I had been infatuated with a person, I think it's a wonderful experience and it's a proof that you have a heart

No comments: